2013/02/03

My Love of Life- Ppungi









Let me introduce you my lovely bubbly puppy Ppungi. Well I don't know whether I can call her 'puppy' since she is already 12 years old now, but to me, she will always be a cute pup Ppungi. Actually even though she's been with our family for 12 years, we haven't exactly been the closest friends from the start. 

Because of my pretty intense dog allergy (which seems to be subsiding now) when I was 10, we had to give away ppungi to our grandmother who was living near our house. So although we visited her often, Ppungi and I didn't get close. She will only come near me when I was holding anything remotely edible. (still somewhat true)

However, as we started living together in one house, (even though I only go back home for about three months a year) our relationship dramatically improved and now I finally realize what it means to live with a life partner who is not a human. And because of Ppungi, I am even considering to become an animal-assisted therapist, a type of psychotherapist that heals patients with animals. Of course, Ppungi's too old for the intense training, but she taught me first hand how interacting with animals can heal your soul. 

Knowing that there is somebody who will always welcome you when you get back home, somebody who will sleep next to you when you feel lonely at night (although she doesn't really do that to me)...

She teaches me that love is possible even without any form of verbal communication. Although we can't tell each other our thoughts and feelings, language is not everything. Without any words, you can feel the warmth. And I'm sure many of pet owners would empathize with me.

Of course, there will be pain when she leaves me. But just because of that pain which, strictly speaking, is natural, I feel it's too much of waste to let go such happiness being with animal. Everyone has different thoughts and maybe mine will change over time, but considering what kind of joy and love I receive from Ppungi, this memory will stay with me, and that is enough for me.

Lastly, I really recommend people suffering from depression to consider adopting a pet. (But of course, you have to be responsible to take care of your pet.) Having such a love-filled creature near you can definitely help you find happiness from life. Personally, one of my friend's depression has also improved dramatically, and she loves her dog dearly. 
Also if you feel like you can't find love from other people, and that you wish to end your life because it seems meaningless, you may also consider spending time with pet who will love you.


So these are few clips of my lovely Ppungi that I love so much. (sorry for my voice! And also her fur is slightly disorganized because my grandma trims it herself.)





<Lower your volume!>



Look at her! Isn't she adorable?? She looks like a calm artist. She used to tilt her head whenever she hears strange sound when she was young, but as dogs grow old, it gets more and more scarce. This one is so cute-vely! 





This is like her default mode of lying on her back. My bf keeps on telling me that it's just an act of defensive, not that she actually enjoys being stroked on her belly. But who cares about a blind-with-jealous guy's opinion! :)






It's been a while since Ppungi took a walk since it was cold outside, but we finally did, and she is super duper excited!
She loves taking a walk, and sometimes she will just gaze through the window sitting on the balcony. She had a blast this day. :) When she was younger she took such joy in intimidating other dogs, but as she grew older, she became more respectable. 






Finally, I was recording my grandma's stretching routine because after I leave Korea, I wanted to follow it. Ppungi who was sitting quietly next to me, started playing with grandma's legs, and it was so funny! Whenever I watch this one and other videos of Ppungi's attack, I keep on cracking!


war war! Ppungi says bye! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment